Thursday, May 17, 2018

Jazz up a Jacket with Expo International Trim


I am so happy to be hopping... blog hopping that is! This month's Designer Crafts Connection blog hop is featuring Expo International trim. Expo International makes some of the most beautiful ribbon, trims, and appliques on the market. Follow me as I show you how I used some amazing appliques to take a plain black blazer from "blah" to "WOW", all with absolutely no sewing!

First, let's talk a little about my inspiration for this project. I love classic country music. I was raised on those old country songs and even went to college in Nashville, TN. One of the things that I love from the old days of country are the highly decorated "Nudie suits" that were worn back in the day by Porter Wagner and Dolly Parton (the suits were made by a famous tailor named Nudie Cohn). The suits featured lots of sequins and embroidery.


I wanted to make my own version of the Nudie suit, but a little more contemporary and a little more subtle, but still with lots of flair... and that's where Expo International comes in!

Materials used:

How to create:
  1. Cut beaded trim to fit length of all pocket openings. This trim is so cool because you can cut it with scissors! It has a really neat, rubbery back to it that holds all those beads together.
  2. Attach beaded trim to all pocket openings (breast pocket and 2 lower pockets) with fabric glue. I used Fabri-Tac from Beacon Adhesives.
  3. Iron on embroidered letters on front and back. I placed the front letter right on the breast pocket, directly under the beaded trim.
  4. Iron on rose applique and embroidered letter onto the back of the jacket.
And that's it! It was so easy and I didn't have to sew one single thing! Now I have an updated take on the classic country suit jacket with just enough flair that will make everyone take notice.

If you want to see more gorgeous projects using Expo International trims and appliques, click HERE for all of the other designers' blogs in the hop. We are also giving away a prize pack full of Expo goodies -- just comment on the DCC blog post and tell us what projects you loved!



Happy crafting!




13 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your jacket - and thanks for the education on Nudie suits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea and inspiration!!! Am loving it your beautiful jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea - I love those clothes that Dolly wore back in the day! She always looked so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fashion history - it's always interesting to know where things came from. Love your take on this style and that trim added the just the right amount of pizzazz😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super Cute. I remember those suits they wore and yours is better. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great look for your
    jacket. Easy trim
    to use.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this idea!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. is the letter G available? or V for Virginia? I have no success finding my own initials. it's all beautiful

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik