Thursday, July 16, 2015
It may be only July, but here in Georgia it is almost back to school time -- kids go back in just a couple of weeks! And while a new school year is always an exciting time, it can also be a little stressful, especially for kids who are just starting school or kids who need a routine. That's where the "My School Day" book comes in.
When I was a teacher, I got a lot of questions about what time we would do certain things. First graders always wanted to know, "When do we go to recess? When do we go to art/music/etc?" With this little book, made from Deflecto's 3"x5" flexible pouches, you can introduce kids to their daily school schedule before the school year starts AND practice telling time!
1. Stamp a clock face onto 3x5 pieces of white cardstock and put the appropriate time for the child's activities (you can get the daily schedule from the teacher before school starts). I made cards for getting on the bus, school start time. lunch time, "specials" time (art/music/PE), recess, and end of day, but you may need different ones for your kids.
2. Print the words and the times for each activity on the computer and attach them to each card. Of course, you can always hand-write these! With this, kids learning to tell time can match the clock face with the "digital" time.
3. Edge each card with washi tape.
4. Make a front and back cover. This is a great place to use scraps! Be sure to include a place on the inside of the front cover for the child's name, address, and phone number. If the child rides the bus, put what bus number they ride home on the inside of the back cover.
5. Use a book binding ring to hold the pouches together and decorate with ribbon!
With this book, kids get an introduction to their school day before the big day arrives. Since it's made with these cool pouches, it's small enough that kids can carry it in their book bags.
Here's to a less-stressful first day of school!
Deflecto flexible pouches
patterned paper and journaling card from Keller's Creations
letter stickers from The Paper Studio
embellishments from Queen and Co.
adhesives from ThermOWeb
clock face stamp
pen from Zig
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. As a member of the Deflecto Design Team I have been provided product in exchange for my creative ideas, views and opinions.