Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Warning: Lifestyle Change Ahead

If you have looked at any of my layouts, then you know that I am a chubby girl. Unfortunately, I have been a chubby girl for the majority of my life. In middle school, I was called all sorts of things by some terribly mean boys. Maybe this fat roll had something to do with it:

Me circa 1985. Nice stomach.

Nothing changed much in high school. Still much bigger than all my friends. Thankfully I don't have any pictures on hand to show. However, I must say that I am less embarrassed about my weight than my really really really big hair.  College was more of the same... way bigger than anyone else I knew.

As an adult, I have lost weight several times. My best efforts were back in 1998-1999 and then again a couple of years ago when I lost 40 lbs. But it always came back. I could never wrap my mind around the idea of "healthy living" vs. "diet". I could only see "diet" as a temporary thing. Then came turning 35. I began putting on weight in weird places that I had never worried about before. I've always had a lower stomach "pooch", but this upper stomach muffin top thing? That's new. Horrible fat pouch above my elbow? I had only previously seen those on old ladies. My knees hurt, my hips hurt, and I was miserable.

Me with my friend Twhyla and Atlanta Braves relief pitcher
(and 2011 All-Star!) Jonny Venters in 2010

See the terrible upper stomach fat roll? GROSS!

So about a month ago, I came to the realization that I needed help. I knew I couldn't lose weight on my own so I joined Weight Watchers. It's a great plan with lots of great success stories. The best part is that they promote a healthy lifestyle vs. "a diet". Then this week I did something even more incredible: I joined Curves. Me, the most anti-exercise person EVER, working out at least 3 times a week? Who would have thought?

I promise to keep y'all updated on my weight loss/lifestyle change as I go along. With about 80 pounds to lose, it's going to take a while. And who knows? This may be some great scrapbook material!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you on such a huge step. It really is about being healthy and not about a "diet". I wish you the best on this journey.

    I've struggled with weight my entire life too and it is definitely true that the way I gain weight is different now that I am almost 38.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, you're off to a great start and I'm impressed with your honesty and willingness to put your goals out in the open. That's got to be some motivation to get up & go to the gym right there.

    I look foward to reading about you meeting your goals!

    -Holly (Nemecek)

    (And yes, you did have really big hair in high school, but so did everyone. ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Larissa and Holly! I appreciate the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do this, 1 pound at a time. Don't get overwhelmed with the total. WW works, if I can do it anyone can, I'm down 62.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. It's a big step, but worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik