Wednesday, April 26, 2017

"Home" DIY Wooden Plaque


As most of y'all know, I am a Georgia girl, born and bred, so this little wooden plaque just speaks to my heart!

I made this adorable sign at the Pinners Conference here in Atlanta (if you haven't heard of it, you have to go check it out -- it's amazing). A company called Unfinished Wood Co. (based here in GA) had these wonderful wood pieces that we then finished using paints from Plaid Crafts (also based here in GA -- are you seeing a pattern here?).

The paints from Plaid are seriously fantastic. I mean, these people just know what they are doing when it comes to all sorts of finishes for crafting. For the background wood, I used FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Paint and then scraped the paint with a plastic spatula to remove some of the paint and give it a more distressed look. Then I painted the Georgia portion with more FolkArt Home Decor Chalk Paint and the new Folk Art Pickling Wash (love that stuff!), again using a scraper to remove some of the paint so that the wood grain could be seen. I distressed the edges with chalk paint and splattered the whole plaque to give it a more rustic look.

I wanted to give the sign a little more texture so I added embroidered letters from JOY, spelling out the word "home". I love the extra little bit of depth that the fabric letters give that I wouldn't have gotten from paint or vinyl.

I simply adore this little sign and I can't wait to hang it up and show everyone my state pride!

A big thanks to Unfinished Wood Co. and Plaid for this fun and adorable sign and awesome paint products!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik